Drought Disaster Livestock Water Supply Project Assistance Program

NDAC, Section 89-11 provides the Department of Water Resources the ability to provide cost-share assistance to livestock producers with water supply shortages caused by drought.

Eligible livestock producers in drought proclamation counties may qualify for up to $4,500 in cost-share assistance, for up to three projects, on the following items:

  • New water wells;
  • New rural water system connections;
  • New pipeline extensions, pasture taps, and associated works; and
  • Labor, materials, and equipment rentals for work completed by the producer to develop new water supply projects.

The Water Commission and Governor Burgum have declared the following counties eligible to receive cost-share assistance: Adams, Barnes, Benson, Billings, Bottineau, Bowman, Burke, Burleigh, Cass, Cavalier, Dickey, Divide, Dunn, Eddy, Emmons, Foster, Golden Valley, Grand Forks, Grant, Griggs, Hettinger, Kidder, LaMoure, Logan, McHenry, McIntosh, McKenzie, McLean, Mercer, Morton, Mountrail, Nelson, Oliver, Pembina, Pierce, Ramsey, Ransom, Renville, Rolette, Sargent, Sheridan, Sioux, Slope, Stark, Steele, Stutsman, Towner, Traill, Walsh, Ward, Wells, and Williams.

Cost-share payments made through this program can be considered taxable income. Successful applicants will need to submit IRS Form W-9 upon completion of their projects before program reimbursement can be made.

To Apply

Online Application (Temporarily Unavailable)

The fillable/printable application form for the program is found here (SFN 17810).

Supporting Documents

This brochure provides a summary of the program.

Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification here (W-9 Form).

The Administrative Code for the program can be found here.

A map of the qualifying counties can be found here.

A list of North Dakota certified water well contractors can be found here.

North Dakota Livestock Drought Resources

Information & Assistance

For more information on the Drought Disaster Livestock Water Supply Project Assistance Program, or help with the application process, please contact the Planning & Education Division.

(701) 328-4989 or e-mail